The Best Springtime Social Activities for Seniors
Does it feel like this winter was especially long? You’re not alone. The cold temperatures of winter often increase feelings of fatigue and isolation. In most cases, this is because seniors are more likely to stay inside as the temperatures drop.
Now that the seasons have shifted and temperatures are on the rise, it’s important to break the habit of staying in and head outside. Studies show that spending time outdoors can increase energy and give your mood a boost. For seniors, these benefits can be enhanced by spending that time outside with a group of friends.
5 Social Activities for Seniors to Enjoy this Spring
Here are five great springtime activities for keeping seniors social:
- Visit a local park. Grab a friend and go for a walk in a local park. With many flowers and trees already in bloom, it’s the perfect time to catch up with friends while enjoying the beauty of nature and getting in some light exercise.
- Take up bird watching. Research shows bird watching can reduce feelings of stress and lift the spirits. Joining a local bird watching group is a great way to spend time outdoors, learn something new and meet new people.
- Head to the ballpark. Everyone loves cheering on their favorite team. And studies show that being a sports fan may even make you happier and healthier. Head to your local ballpark with some of your fellow baseball loving friends. Don’t want to fight big crowds? Check out a local minor league team. The stadiums are often smaller, plus many offers discounted tickets for seniors.
- Enjoy a meal outdoors. Whether it’s a picnic or just enjoying a few appetizers on the patio at your favorite local restaurant, eating outside has been shown to decrease stress levels, improve your mood and increase concentration. Get a group of friends together for a fun evening of dining al fresco.
- Play tourist for the day. When was the last time you visited your local art museum? Or took a trip to your local zoo or aquarium? Playing tourist for the day is a great way for you and a group of friends to enjoy all your city has to offer. Sign up for a walking or bus tour and discover something new about your city with close family or friends.
Franciscan MinistriesHelps Seniors Maintain Social Wellness All Year Round
At Franciscan Ministries, we offer a wide range of activities to keep seniors active and social as they age. Our communities offer a variety of life enrichment programs include regular social events, fitness and exercise programs, life learning courses and spiritual wellness activities. Contact us today to learn more about our communities, including our various amenities and wellness programs all designed to help seniors stay active and worry-free.