The Benefits of Moving to a Senior Living Community
October 25, 2018
Being a senior isn’t what it used to be. Advances in medical treatments are helping seniors live active and healthier lives longer than the generations before them. Additionally, this newest generation of retirees are more mindful of taking steps to make healthier lifestyle choices, such as eating better and exercising regularly to help them stay strong and age healthy.
While many seniors still intend to live in their homes as long as possible, many more are electing to move to communities that allow them to enjoy their senior years in a community-based setting that allows them easy access to everything they need to continue to stay healthy, active, social and cognitively sharp long into retirement.
Here are five benefits of moving to a senior living community sooner, rather than later:
- No yard work or home maintenance. Many retirees simply don’t want the responsibility of keeping up with a large home. Yard work and other home maintenance projects can be a burden, taking up time and money. A Franciscan Ministries senior living community, allows seniors to live a maintenance free lifestyle, so they can focus more on enjoying the activities and hobbies they love.
- There’s always something to do. Staying active and trying new things is essential to healthy aging. It can also help reduce your risk for cognitive decline and the development of certain types of dementia, including Alzheimer’s disease, in the future. From wellness programs, to social events, to recreational and leisure activities, at a senior living community, you’re never without something to do or something new to try.
- It’s easy to meet new people. Regular socializing is another key aspect of healthy aging. In fact, studies show that seniors who partake in regular social engagements are less likely to develop feelings of depression, anxiety, stress and isolation as they age. Senior living communities make it easy for seniors to make new friends and develop new relationships. Shared common areas, regular social events, on-site activities and community dining mean you’re never far from meeting someone who shares your interests.
- No need to cook (unless you want to!). Love to eat but hate the process of cooking and cleaning? Senior living communities offer healthy, home-style dining options that ensure residents eat well, without the hassle. Still like to cook occasionally? Not a problem. At the Franciscan Ministries senior living communities, our garden homes and apartments include full kitchens so you can prepare what you like, when you like.
- You have peace of mind for the future. No matter what steps you take to stay healthy as you age, there may come a time when you require more assistance with tasks you once did on your own. Moving to a senior living community while you’re still active and healthy can give you peace of mind that you’ll have access to the assistance you need, should you ever need it in the future.
Live Your Senior Years to the Fullest at Franciscan Ministries
Every senior wants to stay active, healthy and independent as they age. At Franciscan Ministries, we provide the programs, amenities and services seniors need to achieve just that. Retirement should be about taking time to enjoy life and all that it has to offer. Ready to learn more about what life is like at a senior living community? Contact us today to learn more about our community options and how we’re helping seniors stay happy and healthy at every age.